- Dont wait until the last minute! Each box will take an average of thirty minutes
to pack. An average apartment can be packed by an individual in 15-20 hours; a house, in
- Have packing tape and a magic marker available to seal and label each box.
Note the contents on the box, whether or not it is fragile, and in which room it will be placed at the
- Begin packing the least used areas of your home first and leave the essentials until
last. Many people will pack their suitcases full with the items they know they will need
immediately after the move and will move them in their own vehicles.
- Tape all cartons carefully on both top and bottom. Double tape boxes that will be
carrying heavy items like books.
- Always pack heavy items on the bottom, lighter items on the top.
- Do not put heavy items in with breakables, and make sure there is an inch of paper
cushioning between layers of breakables. Towels or linen may be used as well.
- Slightly over-pack each carton before sealing for added strength, but do not pack boxes
so that they remain open at the top. They are more difficult and less safe to move that
- Pack all valuable items in the same few cartons and check on their arrival at the
destination or move them in your own vehicle for safety. Try to use up as much of your
food supply before the day of the move to eliminate extra packing. Do not move any liquids
that have been opened, only containers that are still factory sealed.
- Stuffed animals, soft items and sweaters can be packed in large trash bags.
- You may leave clothing in dressers, but remove all breakables, loose items or valuables
- Disconnect all electronic equipment and wiring prior to moving day, and try to pack
components in their original boxes if possible. Otherwise, they can be wrapped in
furniture pads and placed on the truck.
- Try not to water plants for 2-3 days prior to the move. Small plants should be placed in
boxes and are better moved in your own vehicle. Large plants should be placed so that the
entire pot is contained within a box, so that spilled soil will not get all over the truck
and your belongings.
- Place all loose items in an appropriate box! Although your movers will be cooperative
enough to move whatever you have, they will not vouch for the safety of loose pictures,
lampshades, mirrors, or small electronic equipment. You can buy bubble-wrap for pictures
and mirrors, or request mirror boxes from us.
- Mattresses can be wrapped in furniture pads on the truck, but special boxes can be
purchased if desired. You can request your movers to wrap your upholstered furniture with
- Please disassemble all particle board and pressed wood pieces prior to moving, if you
would like them to survive the move. Otherwise, these pieces are unsturdy and prone to
cracking with even small movements.
- All gas appliances must be serviced by the gas company prior to moving.
- Washers and dryers can be disconnected by your moving crew if necessary.
- Freezers and refrigerators must be emptied before moving. Defrost and dry them
thoroughly prior to moving. Automatic icemakers may require servicing beforehand.
- For microwaves, you only have to remove the glass tray inside and pack separately.
On Moving Day
- Complete all packing prior to your crews arrival. They will not pack your items
unless arrangements had already been made with the company.
- Reserve all elevators, loading docks or parking areas for adequate time periods.
- Be on hand to answer questions and direct the placement of furniture items. A floor plan
taped to the door indicating where boxes and pieces should be placed will greatly
facilitate the unloading.
- Above all, take a deep breath and try to remain calm at one of the most stressful times
of your life! Well do our best to make the move go as smoothly as
We strive to deliver outstanding service to our customers before,
during and after each move. For our employees and franchisees, we
seek to assist, empower and encourage each person to achieve their
full potential so as to lead a productive, fulfilling life.
(c) copyright 2008
Anderson's Moving and Storage